I'm trying to finally get back to this blog, after having been physically barricaded from my computer for most of the past few months. Thanks to the "Jonas Blizzard" or "Snowzilla" or "Stormegedeon Part II" -- whatever your prefered name -- we've been stuck inside for the better part of a week with no school. That's incentive to clear away the piles of junk blocking my desk. Along with that I pulled out the camera to take photos of the pastel paintings I've been doing this fall from our summer trip to Scotland. If you follow me on Instagram, you've seen these paintings in various states of completion.
This first painting of a pasture was from Stirling, Scotland near (or possibly part of) the Bannockburn battlefield. I used a mounted piece of UArt for this painting, which was lovely to paint on, however, in the intervening months the board has warped. I'll have to get this framed sooner rather than later. I used my Blue Earth cerulean pastels to do the underpainting, which you can see here.
This painting was done on a piece of Art Spectrum. I'd gotten a sampler set from Dakota Pastels a while back and had never opened it up. I grabbed a piece with a dark purple shade for this, however, after my initial layer was down I wet the pastel effectively covering up most of the color of the paper. I discovered that the artist tape I use doesn't play nice with this paper; it tore the top edge as I was removing it, so I was forced to crop off the top two inches of sky.
And finally, this is the same scene as above, this time painted on UArt paper with a four-value underpainting. The scene is from a stop along the drive back from Glen Coe in Scotland towards Stirling. You can see some of the mountains of the Highlands off in the distance. I've also painted this in watercolor a few times as well, which I'll share another day.